More Insights

In my previous post, I was talking about the past and especially what I did the last year.

While I am not the guy who celebrates new years eve too much, I do like the beginning of a new year, as January has a much slower pace as December, giving me time to think about what I want to achieve in the new year.

My personal goals are to become a better data scientist.  I like this picture about Data Science found on the Wikipedia Article. I could improve myself in any of the fields.
Attribution: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Calvin.Andrus
Wikipedia: Data Science

In some of the fields I will naturally improve myself doing projects with customers (e.g. domain expertise), others may require self-study (should not have slept in math and statistics classes...).

While I'm practicing data science every day, I think it is good to sometimes take a step backwards and learn more about the theory behind it, especially when there is a lot going on in areas like machine learning and predictive analytics. Applying these algorithms requires to understand the theory behind them.

Machine learning and predictive analytics will be a hot topic for me this year. More and more customers are looking to get more value out of their unstructured data. So far customers have been more in reactive mode,  like doing manual queries on historic data. Some of the more advanced customer have started to write their own algorithms. Giving them the tools to automatically detect anomalies and predict the future is the logical next step. This is one area where we are currently investigating and talking to domain experts, to get more insights and come up with a good solution.

Another area where we are expanding into is Application Performance Monitoring. Systems are getting more and more complex, and it is really hard to find root causes. Last week, we signed a partnership agreement that I am very happy with.

Readers of my blog know that beside Splunk there is another Application I'm a huge fan of. Yes, I'm talking about AppDynamics. I'm very happy that we now have a tool in our portfolio, that perfectly complements Splunk. There are almost no overlaps in functionality. AppDynamics provides the insights into an application, while Splunk has the view from the outside.

Together with the new AppDynamics Splunk App, we now have the perfect tag-team... Stay tuned!

Attribution: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usagj/6301467928/sizes/m/in/photostream/
Splunk-AppDynamics Tag-Team


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SLOG Latency

Heating up the Data Pipeline (Part 1)

Heating up the Data Pipeline (Part 2)